Wednesday, January 25, 2012

THE DEBT




 Of all the things that cause me nightmares, dark thoughts and TV-turning-off, it's the Holocaust. It was years before I could watch Schindler's List though I gobble up movies like Paranormal Activity. Maybe it's because my Grandparents suffered in the war, it was still talked about when I was tiny at home and in my older rellie's homes. My Grandad came through France but he had friends who liberated some of the concentration camps. Maybe it's just that the Holocaust defies description. It bubbles away at the back of my mind, a tiny, permanent nightmare.

The Debt deals with the subject of Nazi medical experiments. Can't even allow that into my head but anyway, it is a truly awesome film. All the actors are brilliant, particularly Helen Mirren but also Tom Wilkinson. Jessica Chastain is the young version of Mirren's character and all together the cast make this fabulous film even more amazing. The script is by Jane Goldman and Mathew Vaughn. I wish you would go and see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment