Friday, November 25, 2011

CATS IN THE CRADLE


Happened to walk past the TV the other day while 'The Office' was on - American version. The bloke with the glasses who plays the Mackenzie Crook character - (soz about my bad research!) suddenly launched into a chorus of this song, 'Cat's in the Cradle', by Harry Chapin. It was a pure comedy moment for me because this song has always encapsulated a certain kind of middle-American oddness. The tune & lyrics combo is a bit 'out there' and trippy in a strange, folky-beardy but not trendy way.  C's in the C then just came on the radio while I was out looking for shops to panic buy stuff out of, seeing as it's Black Friday. I didn't buy anything but oh, the riches, wealth and imaginative opportunities listening to Harry Chapin afforded me. I was transported even deeper into this continent, pine forests looming on either side of the road. Not a soul in sight. Dusk was falling, a truck passed by with a dead stag in the back, all wrapped in plastic but for his head sticking out.  New England is gorgeous but sometimes my kids say it's spooky. This afternoon, I got the distinct feeling of there being Something in the trees. Brrrr.........

Anyway, yesterday spent my first Thanksgiving properly here. Made a vat of soup and took it over to some pals, who didn't mind at all that I had forgotten the roast potatoes. We had so much food anyway nobody noticed. I could hardly move last night. Got to do it all again in 4 weeks...the Goddess willing. I have to go all the way, literally, around the world and back before then. Fingers xxxed xxxx



...I've creeped myself out now!!






No comments:

Post a Comment