Monday, January 10, 2011

HORROR ON THE 11th FLOOR


Opened the kitchen door this morning to dump the newspapers in the recycling bin, here's the view. I know! What the Flicking Hell is it? Admittedly, I was half asleep at the time, so the sharp drop/leap in my heart is understandable but honestly. It is, of course, the neighbours again. Trouble is, apart from the Happy Trio across the hall (see posting: The Neighbours) the only other occupants of our landing are families with kids under 4.

Here's the front view.


I can only imagine it must be a Halloween relic.  Call me Margo Leadbetter but the sight of this scared me and, subsequently, the teens too. Although one of them had a hangover so it was easy to scare him. A Bad Thing and a topic I may well return to later when my nerves can stand it. 

My question is: Which of the 3 other apartments did this apparition come from? I'm surprised not to have heard more late-night screaming from behind closed doors if this is a discarded piece of home decor. Surely small kidlets would be afraid of this - it's at least 4ft tall. It's funny but it's also funny-bluddy-peculiar. Natch, it set me off thinking along these lines........One couple on our landing are both skittering on the edge of showbiz. Their small son is trotted off to auditions day-in, day-out. Maybe this is part of some kind of conditioning exercise to mentally prepare him for a role in Scary Movie 13 or something? Now my imagination's running away with me of course. But ever stopped to wonder about such kids?

 I've pondered previously (in print) about kids who appear in horror films. How do the parents stand the sight of their 12 year old daughter hanging from a beam?(Amityville Horror) Because it's is not all special effects in such films. Do the neighbours say 'Ooo we loved seeing your daughter being raped by the Devil in The Last Exorcism, great movie!'  Or whatever. Having seen lots of horrors involving kids for research into this topic, it's pretty gross. Following the after-lives and careers of child-horror-stars is pretty horrific too.  Depression, derailment and occasionally an early death seem to be the most frequent endings to their sad, scary little lives.

 Oooooooh many apologies for that trip to the Dark Side. Just following a train of thought that will certainly lead to more nightmares on the 11th Floor tonight.....

No comments:

Post a Comment