Saturday, September 10, 2011

NEW YORK FASHION WEEK


Never mind the show, who's in the audience?

NY Fashion week is upon us once more. Just down the road from our apt at the Lincoln Center. This means I need dark glasses to get to and from Whole Foods. Don't want to get all glammed up just to shop, on the other hand, don't want to bump into between-the-show fashionettes. Got caught out last time while moving a load of stuff from my apt into storage downtown. On the way, our truck stopped at the traffic lights, I was sitting up front with Melvyn and Hupelo-the-movers, when a crowd of London girls stepped out in front of us. Wrong moment for me to wave or be noticed at all so I sat very still. One of the girlies looked back and straight into the cab at me. Did she recognise me? Hopefully not, or if she did I'm hoping she just thought 'That scruffy old removal woman looks exactly like Sarah Kennedy'. 

Anyway, far more interesting than the NY Spring collections is who's in the audiences at the shows. So far, a parade of disappointing Z listers. Ashley Tisdale(?) and Lea Michele? I'm sorry but I like my fashion shows super-elite, brimming with superstars or total trendsters and devoid of reality TV/Disney characters. FNO here on Thursday night was a riot of Z NQOTDs... from the afore mentioned Tisdale to  Kim-nothing-fashionable-about-her-Kardashian. 

A couple of years ago NY's fall fashion week felt like the centre of the fashion planet but all that has changed. Desperation is in the air. Publicity for publicity's sake is centre stage and the cultural bloggers and commentators high fashion depends on are sidelined in favour of the kind of reality TV stars who never used to be allowed anywhere near the dear old tents.  The clothes seem somehow less exciting too. What's happened?




No comments:

Post a Comment