Thursday, February 9, 2012

MORE MILLIE JACKSON


MILLIE JACKSON AND ISAAC HAYES (1976-ish)

RECENT MILLIE

Last year I wrote a post called 'Magnificent Millie Jackson' and it's had way more hits than anything else I have ever written on here. So here is a bit more from me, on her...

It's kind of confession time - in that, despite trillions of years at the coalface and never once being busted/sued or even having to apologise for a wrong fact, I have had something very wrong in my head for a long time. So much so that this week I feel like I've been re-born because the Wrong Thing has been righted. I don't know why, I think maybe I heard it once on the radio, I cannot be sure so am not saying I did - hear that Millie Jackson was no longer with us, as it were. This is ridiculously wrong, Ms Jackson is busy touring and singing as wonderfully as ever. I can't believe how the wrongness got a hold in my head for so long but I do apologise profoundly for it. Still wondering though, as I never normally get this stuff wrong..starting to think it might even have been from a record company press office in London but oh, no idea.

Anyway, I am now planning a trip to see Millie. It will be divine. No seriously, for me it will be a Divine Experience because she is truly a Goddess. Right from the start of her career Millie has been ultra cool, an amazing singer and performer. I can't understand why she is not a megastar like Diana Ross or Barbra Streisand. Why isn't she singing at the Oscars and being a Huge Star like oh, Madonna? She is Fabulous, beyond fab, she was Mary J Blige before Mary J Blige was. I just. don't. get. it.

I've mentioned before the ladies from Chic - in that I went to see them perform in a pretty sad way, at a midtown ballroom, singing to a backing track that kept breaking down. The voices of all these women were the soundtrack of a decade, a lifetime for many. I cannot believe they are not Huge MainStream Stars, judging on America's Got Talent and X-Factor, selling out Yankee Stadium. Also, why don't young singers haul them up on to the stage with them at the MTV awards or whatever? Don't they know they owe Millie, in particular, huge amounts for breaking boundaries galore in her youth. Please don't tell me Gaga, Minaj, M.i.a (sp) and co are shocking. Sorry to sound old - but people who think that really need to check out Ms Jackson in her heyday. Maybe she was just too shocking , too punky-soulful, too honest and freaky for the mainstream to ever catch her up. Ahead of her game totally, that's Millie. I can't wait to go and see her.


No comments:

Post a Comment