Wednesday, December 15, 2010

BEDSIT LAND

Bedsit Land

Here is our New York kitchen. Perfectly adequate but only room for one of us at a time. Coming from a land of cavernous kitchens, it's been quite an adjustment and cooking is Very Hot. I now know why most New Yorkers claim they never cook and always order in. Sorry but 'Take out' is too pricey and unhealthy an option for my teen-men, who would eat their own body-weights in ribs 'n'  fried chicken if allowed. To solve the hot-cooking v.take out dilemma some other British Housewives of New York (more of them soon) came to my rescue, suggesting the Slow Cooker. See below. (I am not being ironic either, so button it, Jane.)

Like  pressure cookers in the 1960s, this is a thing that cooks slowly. You put everything in it, switch it on, 4 hours later it's ready. No heat, no smell, no smoke. It's like being a student all over again but so far I've made Moroccan Lamb, Teriyaki Chicken, Carolina Pulled Pork, Chile and a beef Pot Roast. Everyone has eaten everything without complaint.

I KNOW!!!!, I hear ya screaming out there, mag-ionistas, glamour-princesses, spoiled ritches etc, etc ex-friends of mine. You can't believe I am talking about cooking can you? Well FYI,  him indoors is still humming the theme from Butterflies when finding me a-chopping and browning but at least I know what my kids are eating. Important because, stringent EU-type meat and poultry-raising guidelines haven't quite made it here yet. I don't want to think about the meat used in take-away food so it's home produced chow all the way.

Bizarre how my life is just reversing bit by bit. Living in a small flat, cooking my own food, I'll be auditioning for the TV version of Fame and going back out with Zodiac Mindwarp soon.......

No comments:

Post a Comment