Wednesday, February 9, 2011

No one knows what it's like....

When I was a student/younger person I used to get sore throats and tonsilitis the whole time. I had my tonsils out aged 19 but I still suffered for years especially just before a cold. Sometimes my throat hurt so much I just had to go to bed and mope until the pain, un-changed by whatever tablets I took, went away. On one such occasion I was lying in bed weeping and had written, on a piece of paper, for some reason 'No one knows what it's like'. I don't know why I wrote this,  I was just being dramatic as usual but my friend Jane came round to see me and found the note. 'What's all this?' she demanded and we ended up falling about. After about an hour of mutual, hysterical laughter, she probably made me a cup of tea, propped up my pillows then went home. That note has stayed with us, in our heads and now, whenever anyone has a sore throat, or an ailment of any kind, in our circle of trust, one of us (usually her) will say 'No one knows what it's like'.  It's not that funny to outsiders but it is to me. She just tweeted it because her throat is sore today and it's 1989 all over again......

2 comments: