Wednesday, February 23, 2011

MILLIE JACKSON THE MAGNIFICENT

Magnificent Millie Jackson

Today I was reminded of Millie Jackson, who I love. Drama is the fuel on my bonfire of life and few musical offerings contain as much of the stuff as on Millie's two magnificent albums of the 1970s, 'Caught Up' and 'Still Caught Up'. If I had the cash and connections I would turn these albums into a musical stage show to rival Dream Girls and trample all over 'Chess' etc.

The 'Caught Up' duo tells the story of the Mistress, the Wife and the Husband. Millie sings both female parts and  so do I, alone with my ancient cd player and sometimes out loud around the apartment. The sheer tenderness, fury, bitterness and power emanating from these albums is almost visible.  It is time to resurrect these songs, bring them forth and at least make the musical movie. It's not up to me though.

Does anyone know Beyonce or Mary J?

No comments:

Post a Comment