Wednesday, December 15, 2010

54

54



Unexpectedly found myself walking down W54th Street today on my way home from a meeting so I paused outside number 254 to take a snap. It is a theatre and a bit boring-looking now but who can forget those heady days? Well actually I don't remember them in the first place, having never been but I appreciate the power and influence of Studio 54.

Disco music was born in New York and much has already been written on the subject. That has never stopped me adding in my tenpence-worth and it won't now. I just love original Disco music and I'm talking album tracks by the Ritchie Family and Starguard here, NOT Cool and the Gang.

Anyway, a few months ago I dragged some British media friends visiting NYC to see a gig featuring the ladies from Chic and A Taste of Honey (Boogie Ooogie, Oogie was the big T.O.H hit). My pals and I were expecting something fabulous but it was all a bit sad. The gig was in a hotel ballroom deep in the grim heart of mid-town and despite hard work by the organisers, everything went a bit wrong. The Chic ladies had trouble with their sound system and their sing-a-long tape broke. I just thought these disco divas, the voices of a generation somehow deserved more out of life. It was a far cry from the splendid days of 54. Who knows the back story, maybe Nile Rodgers of Chic paid the girls plenty and they just blew it all. Now I really am rambling....but anyway. Just wanted more for them somehow.

That's it really, just musing a bit here....

No comments:

Post a Comment