Wednesday, December 15, 2010

THE ANKLE BOOTS ARE TOO DAMN HIGH

THE ANKLE BOOTS ARE TOO DAMN HIGH


The season of the ankle boot is upon us once again. Not just a New York phenomenon of course but it is somehow more pertinent because we walk everywhere here. Distances are too short to bother with cabs, buses or subways and unless you are going all the way up, down or across it's usually quicker to walk. Yet I cannot reconcile this with my shoe collection. As you can just about see from the above shot, all my ankle boots are just too damn high in the heel. Even the new Pradas (far left) are deceptively high and hard to walk in. I try to buy low heels but there's a disconnect between brain and wallet when it comes to actually making a purchase.

I am not the only NYC housewife who suffers from this condition. My friend Maxine also struggles to buy a comfortable ankle boot. We went into our local Barneys Co-Op last week to look at shoes and both of us went straight for the too-high ankle boot. Same thing happened on Fashion's Big Night Out in September in Big Barneys. In to the shoe dept we went, straight to the too-high ankle boots.  Other friends and relations also tell me they also suffer from this condition at this time of the year, particularly the fashiony birds.

 Oh well, I am taking comfort from it all being an inter-seasonal blip. When the weather freezes up here and it's about staying upright, another change takes place. It's either Hunter wellies or something very nunty from Harry's Shoes. Fashion leaves town and the only sane folk are warm ones. So only a couple more weeks of Dr Scholl ball-pads, foot soaks, slow tottering and careful footing before fashion goes to bed for the winter.

By the way, Harry's Shoes is the best shoe shop here. Only sells comfy shoes so don't know why I love it so much because I rarely buy anything for myself there. I just like to wander round, feeling the flatties and trying to want them.  See website: www.Harrys-shoes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment